Monday, November 15, 2010

Answers to prayers?

During my pregnancy I prayed for several specific things...in fact their were times I was pleading! I asked for Joshua to have the same eyes as Cameron's....Cameron's eyes are beautiful! I couldn't imagine having one child with those lovely eyes and another without! I asked for Cameron to adjust well...he had been my only...he got what he wanted when he wanted and is quite spoiled! He is a mommas boy and I could not for the life of me wrap my mind around having to share myself with another....and how that might affect my first! I asked for a baby that would nurse. With Cameron I was only able to breastfeed for 8 weeks. By 8 weeks I was bone dry! It was very important to me that I try again! Yes it's good for baby, Yes, its good for baby and mom to bond, yeah your supposed to be able to lose the baby weight faster....Those things are great and all but when you are 7 months pregnant and your husband loses his job...your only income disappears you are no longer concerned about those things...you are now concerned about how you are going to be able to afford formula on top of everything else you can no longer afford!

Fast forward to 11 weeks after birth! I have a 4 year old that has adjusted beautifully to the arrival of his little brother! I have two sons with beautiful blue eyes. I have an 11 week old son who nurses like a champ...he has since he was 30 minutes old!

Have have learned a valuable lesson though.....Be careful what you ask for....The thing I wanted most was for Joshua to nurse. We have had to work hard....we have had our share of struggles with it....I quit consuming dairy for almost 2 months to ward off the his tummy troubles. I won't take a bottle...not even if it contains breast milk. I have had to fight my supply....too much water, not enough water....don't forget your vitamins...cant take that honey, I'm nursing! AHHHH....then the worst of it came this last weekend....I came down with MASTITS. I've heard the horror stories and having never been through it before listened with half an ear. I was sympathetic to those that had it but didn't really understand. How bad can breast pain be with flu like symptoms....I imagined it as engorgement right after birth while being sleep deprived....any one whose had kids has been there...it's pretty bad!

NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!! I literally thought I might die. Not from the breast pain....it was bad but manageable....It was the fever that would have killed me! Three days later and several doses of antibiotics I am on the mend. A big thank you to my doctor who came in to his office at 9pm on a Saturday night to start treating me.

No comments: