I have to admit, I've spent very little time this summer prepping Cameron for Kindergarten. I had lists of things he was going to do every single day...practice his letter, learn to tell time, learn to tie his shoes, and the list goes on and on. Instead we have spent time playing with friends, cleaning our home and learning about chores, we've visited the library a few times and we hit the farmers market every Wednesday. We've rented movies and had family movie night, we've bought games and have had family game night. I've watched my sons grow into friends...even with the 3 1/2 year age difference. Sitting here tonight I was thinking about all that I wanted him to know before he starts school in a couple of weeks and it clicked. Last week I had to take some paper work into the school to finish registering him. There was a paper that needed to be signed by me and by Cameron. Guess who signed his name. Tonight we played 3 games of UNO....guess who won one of the three games...if I had to guess I couldn't tell you how many times we've played UNO this summer. I asked Cameron after bath tonight what game he wanted to play...YAHTZEE....
My 5 year old can play Yahtzee, he can hold his own in a game of UNO and when asked he can sign his name. This summer, I've taught Cameron how to be a good sport when he doesn't win, he can recognize and tell you what every single card in the UNO deck is. He can follow directions, add the numbers on the die and can use his fingers to add number when given a simple addition problem. The memories I will have of my children playing this summer...far out weigh the good that may have come from me keeping a strict schedule with Cameron this summer. I hope and pray that as he grows we can continue to have and make the time for the special things we've done. I hope that I never lose sight of the fun of having my children around.
I don't have a single doubt about Cameron starting school. I believe he will be an excellent student and I know that he will succeed at anything he puts his mind to. He is such a smart and funny little guy. He's so brave, kind and thoughtful. He is the best big brother and really loves his little brother. I'm so lucky to have him as a son and I can't wait to see what school brings for him!
1 comment:
And when he grows up and starts a family of his own, he will remember the summers he spent playing games and learning from his parents and strive to share such joys with his own family. You are a great mother. :)
Post a Comment