Tuesday, January 15, 2013

baby update-due date-and crazy doctors!

It's been 46 days since the last baby update (or 6 weeks). Things have changed dramatically and it's been a rough few weeks:

I had my first OB appointment 12/12/12---we had a terrible winter storm come through town and in a matter of hours we had just about a foot of snow dumped on us. I should have taken this as a sign that the rest of the day was going to be similar to this! Anyhow, I arrived at my appointment and was told that the Doctor wasn't coming in and that I could see a different doctor in the practice. I chose to do this as I was 11 weeks and hadn't been seen yet (my doctor doesn't see patients until after 10 weeks), I should have chosen to reschedule as I was very unhappy with the doctor I saw and very disappointed in the care I received.

I did have my first ultrasound at this appointment and it was discovered that baby was about 6 days smaller than he/she should have been. The other doctor chose to change my due date even though my date are accurate, she isn't my doctor and due dates shouldn't be changed unless there is more than a weeks difference between the first day of your last cycle and the ultrasound. So instead of baby measuring at 10 weeks and 6 days, baby was measuring at 10 weeks. This changed my due date from July 3rd to July 10th.

Aside from that the first appointment is always very uneventful. Like I said, my regular doctor was not there and the other doctor I didn't care for and will do all I can to avoid having to see her again!

January 2nd was my second appointment! I was 13 weeks and enjoyed chatting with my regular OB. It was the very first time I had met him so I had a few concerns to discuss with him---the first being my due date! because we were family planning I was very aware of my cycle, I know when it started...where I was in it and when we had sex...I can tell you what was happening the weekend I was fertile and the fact that none of this was taken into account when the crazy lady doctor changed my due date still infuriates me! (YES, I know that baby decides to come when baby decides come and that in the end my due date doesn't matter---except that for me it does! and here is why---) While discussing all of this with my doctor I also brought up the fact that my blood pressure is already very elevated ---which he had already taken note of---and the fact that all of our family is in the lower 48 and I would have a hard time finding some body for child care if we didn't keep that in mind when discussing such things. If we were to keep my date at 7/10 and I was really due 7/3 (say baby was just measuring small--or the crazy doc who is just fresh out of residency didn't know how to work the ultrasound machine which was the case) and I delivered a week early at 39 weeks like I did with Josh then more than likely the family that is coming to help would miss the birth and we would be scrambling to get a back up in place. The doctor was very reassuring. No we aren't changing my due date back BUT he is determined to deliver this munchkin my July 3rd. Because of high blood pressure I will be induced on July 3rd if i haven't delivered already. It wouldn't be safe for me to go much longer anyhow and there is now way he'd let me go past the 3rd.

After spending some time talking to this doctor I felt very comfortable, he reminds me of my OB in Oregon!

He did have a hard time finding babys heartbeat...he said that 13 weeks is still a little early to find heartbeat with doppler so he did a very quick ultrasound just to find the heartbeat. He mentioned that the placenta was in the front which didn't pose a problem other than that it would be more difficult to find the babys heartbeat with doppler for the next few weeks.

I am feeling a little better over all! I am still very nauseated and the fatigue has set in. I was prescribed a beta-blocker for me blood pressure and I have noticed that I don't feel well when taking them! Other than that though all is good!

I am 15 weeks tomorrow. I see the doctor again tomorrow as well. I'm sure we'll have a quick ultrasound to hear babys heartbeat. We should find out the babys gender in the next few weeks (think 3-4) and we are definitely hoping to add some pink to this family!

Sorry for the long winded post, I have been avoiding writing this and figured it'd be best to get it all out there at the same time!

No comments: