Pregnancy cravings are in full swing...and actually aversions would be the better word! There are so many things that just don't sound good that when something does sound good I HAVE to have it.
Tonight for dinner I made Reuben Sandwiches for the big guy and I...the little guys had grilled cheese. This is how I make my Reubens....yes, they are supposed to be on rye bread and there is some debate as to the sauce that is supposed to be used. This is how they have always been made in my family and this is how I like them.
Reuben Sandwiches
serves 2
4 slices white bread (I always use a country potato)
2 T butter
1/4 cup thousand island dressing
1/2 cup sauerkraut (drain and then measure! I use a colander and I always press on the sauerkraut to make sure I've gotten all of the juice out! I don't like soggy sandwiches.)
6 slices thin sliced pastrami
6 slices thin sliced swiss cheese
Heat your pan or griddle to low/med. Spread dressing over one side of all four slices of bread. Place one and a half slices of swiss cheese on top of each "dressed" slice of bread :) On layer pastrami on two slices of bread and sauerkraut on the other two. Carefully close each sandwich---one pastrami side and one sauerkraut side. Grill as you would a grilled cheese. MMMMMmmmmmmmm! Enjoy!!!
I know these direction sound like I'm trying to tell a two year old how to make a sandwich but just in case somebody hasn't had a Reuben and doesn't know how they should be assembled I wanted to make sure that person could make this sandwich.
These are seriously yummy and really did hit the spot. The best part...I bought enough of each ingredient that I can enjoy these a couple of more times before they don't sound good anymore!
No comments:
Post a Comment