As a mom, I have many hopes and dreams for my kiddos. I loose sleep at night worrying over big and little things. I want the very best for my kids. I love that each of my children have very distinct differences in their personalities. I know by looking at a mess who made it. I know by noises who did it! I can sit in the hall at church and hear my child whether it be by the laughing or crying coming from a room. I pray daily for the strength to raise bright, worthy, boys...boys who will grow to have a sense of self, boys who will cherish a woman and treat her with respect and compassion. I pray that my boys will have a strong work ethic and know where they come from with dreams of where they are going. I pray that my boys will be courageous young men who will stand up for what they believe in. I want nothing more than to see my boys succeed in life.
With the distinct differences in my kiddos, I find myself worrying about different things for each of them. Joshua has definitely been more challenging than Cameron was as a toddler. Cameron has always been more focused...more determined. He has the characteristics of a first born child who had almost 4 years of one-on-one time with Mom! Joshua is as bright as can be... definitely the jokester in the house. He keeps us on our toes because he can be kinda crazy.
One of the things I've always worried about with Cameron is the fact that he's so introverted! I've seen this change over the last year or two and it makes me proud to hear him answer questions from doctors, friends and even his teacher. I've worried that his shyness will hold him back at school...not academically but socially.
Last night we had the opportunity to attend Cameron's open-conference...basically an open house at school. I assumed that we weren't scheduled for a conference because Cameron is doing pretty good at school. That was indeed the case and it thrilled my mommy heart. I believe every parent wants to see their child succeed and although I was thrilled because he is indeed succeeding I was more impressed by the way Cameron was described by his teacher. She touched on some character traits we've been trying to instill in him. I want my children to be kind, I want my children to have friends. Cameron seems to be friends with everyone....he's very patient, very kind and finds the good in each of his classmates. Cameron would be the kid that is placed at a table to be a good example to those around him.
As happy as I am about the glowing report over his handwriting, reading, math and ability and willingness to try new tasks that are placed before him, I am through the moon happy over the character traits that he is building.
While I realize that we are only in kindergarten, I can't help but feel proud. I've said before that my biggest concern with moving from Oregon to Alaska was how it would affect Cameron. I am shown time and time again how Cameron has benefited from this move. I am truly blessed with a Father in Heaven who hears my prayers and guides me each day...he shows me how to care for each of my children. He has helped me to see their differences and has shown me what each of them needs. Cole and I have been blessed with a marriage that is filled with friendship and partnership allowing us to raise these special spirits in the way that they need.
Now to get Joshua to count from 1 instead of 8 :)
No comments:
Post a Comment