Sunday, August 8, 2010

A Calf?



When I pictured my life, I never, in a million years would have thought I'd be such a farm girl. I don't necessarily enjoy the farm life but I manage. As you may recall last winter Cole and I milked the Cow. Actually milking started with milking the goats. But when push came to shove last winter, Cole and I milked the cows...picture me...finding out I am expecting....with morning sickness milking a stinky animal! Keep in mind last winter we have terribly cold weather...morning of 8 degrees. We would go to the milk parlor and have to sprinkle salt to melt the ice before the cows could come in. We would have frozen hoses...morning after morning and have to haul water into the parlor to clean with. You get the picture...remember I am pregnant!

Fast forward several months...I am still pregnant and am milking a cow again! Thank goodness for this little business my mother-in-law started. It has literally saved Cole and I more than once! As much as I would rather not be milking a cow at 36+ weeks gestation, I am very grateful for the opportunity to be able to make some money while Cole continues the job search. He does most of the work anyway. My job as of late has been to feed this little guy....


We had extra milk for a couple of weeks and Lorie thought it would be a good ide
a to buy a calf to feed the extra milk to. After talking it over, Cole and I decided we wouldn't mind paying for the calf as we would make a small profit later.

Cole took on the job of bottle training him....


Jack is so sweet. He takes his bottle like a champ now, eats his hay and even drinks a full bucket of water a day! Cameron loves him and loves that he doesn't run from him anymore. I never thought in a million years that I'd own a calf....But I do!

No comments: