Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Coconut Lime Banana Bread---Yumm!!

I was looking for a sweet treat the other day. I am out of everything and I really need to go grocery shopping...but since the roads have been pretty icy I really try not to go out after dark! I had some bananas that were pretty brown and I knew the kids wouldn't eat them. I remembered pinning a banana bread recipe so I looked it up and got to it. While reading through the recipe it called for somethings that I was out of so I improvised and lets just say it turned out pretty darn good....Cole had two muffins and a slice of bread and Cameron had two muffins...I am sure Joshua will beg for more after his first slice at breakfast tomorrow.

Coconut Lime Banana Bread
adapted from recipe at Dana Made It

INGREDIENTS:
2 Cups All-purpose Flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar ****I used brown rice syrup****
1/4 cup (1/2 of a stick) softened butter ****I used butter flavored shortening****
2 eggs
1 to 1 1/2 cups smashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
1/4 cup yogurt (vanilla, plain, strawberry, whatever flavor) ****I used 4 tbsp applesauce****
3 Tbl apple juice or applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 Tbl coconut to sprinkle on top of bread

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Appx 1 1/2 Tbl fresh lime or lemon juice (appx 1 lime; you may substitute store-bought lime or lemon juice if needed)


Combined dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients and mix only long enough to moisten dry ingredients. Pour into a well greased loaf pan. Sprinkle with coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. While cooling combine the powdered sugar and the lime juice until you have the consistency you desire...you should be able to drizzle it over your bread. Remove bread from pan and drizzle with glaze. enjoy!


As you can see I was out of several things. I just happened to have the brown rice syrup on hand...I like to use agave nectar as a sweetener for cereal and in cookies or bread sometimes. I brought this brown rice syrup home from Oregon and it tastes kind of like honey. I didn't have any butter soft as I wasn't planning on baking...and all my bowls were dirty! I used shortening...it was a very small amount. I didn't have any yogurt or sour cream. I did have milk and could have made buttermilk to use as a substitute for the yogurt BUT when using a syrup sweetener you are supposed to use a little but less liquid than the recipe calls for....by using the applesauce in place of the buttermilk (yogurt) I was using a wet ingredient that had a thicker consistency. I was able to get one loaf and 6 muffins out of this recipe.


This bread was sooo moist an had a wonderful flavor! Everyone loved it and you couldn't tell that I had substituted anything! SOOO GOOD! I am definitely keeping this recipe!

No comments: