Monday, December 19, 2011

To school or not to school?

With my mommy heart hurting I've spent a lot of time in  prayer. I have no idea how to help Cameron. I know that with time Heavenly Father will lead me to the answers. Right now, I am trying to decide what is best for Cameron in terms of his education.

I love Alaska. I feel like there are so many wonderful opportunities for education here. We have an open school district---meaning that it's very easy to apply for a boundary exemption and that as long as there is room  your child can attend school where you want him to. Our school district has several public charter schools using different teaching philosophies. We have a public home-school correspondence school that provides teacher/planning/curriculum help. We have basic public schools. I am sure that no matter what we decide he will be fine. I need to decide where I want him and if that is what is best for him in terms of where he would fit the best.

Until moving to Alaska, I was going to home-school our kids. I have the curriculum purchased---it's being stored in a closet till time to use. Putting Cameron into school was out of the question....and then we moved. Leaving behind our friends and cousins, Cameron no longer has built in playmates. He gets bored easily and really enjoys the social side of school. That being said, I feel that his learning style is very similar to Coles (if not the exact same) and Cole did not thrive in school. The teaching style in a public school is catered to those that can show on paper what they have learned. To this day Cole does not spell well---BUT he can articulate what he thinks properly and very well. When it comes to anything electronic or scientific his ears pop up and you have his full attention. I see this in Cameron...and he's only 5. He loves to learn and my fear is that if placed in a regular classroom he will continue to hate school and that his love of learning will be hindered.

Right now I feel like we have two choices....

1) We live in school boundaries of a public school that offers what is called a STEM program. Basically it's a science based learning program. I feel like Cameron would be a great fit for a program like this. The down side is that although we live in the boundaries of the school offering this program it is a program we have to apply for. I'm not sure how many new students they allow to enter the program every year and I believe that last year was the first year for this program in this school district.

2) Home-School. I have the ability to cater the curriculum to best fit what Cameron would enjoy learning as well as what he needs to learn. We could go at his speed...which would mean that most things he'd learn quickly while other things might take an extra day or two to understand. Yes, there is a public correspondence school...but there are also several private correspondence school. I feel that as long as we are a part of one of these schools we would have the social interactions by participating in activities offered and field trips that they arrange. I would also enroll Cameron into sports/music outside of the home to allow for more social interaction.

I have taken my thoughts and my feeling to Heavenly Father. I have discussed both options with Cole and with Cameron. I don't feel as if I have been given a clear answer. I realize my worries are silly...who cares where he goes to school...he will get an education no matter where he goes...blah blah blah. But I care. Cole cares and we don't want just anything taught to our children. Public school is not where we want them to receive their educations and the only reason I am considering the public school is because of the STEM program. If he's not accepted into the program I will home-school OR we will consider of the charter schools. I feel as if this is the plan I have decided on for now.

When I was first married I would have never in my wildest dream thought that I would be so torn up over the education of my children. It seems crazy to me sometimes. Maybe I am crazy :)

1 comment:

Arianna said...

You are absolutely NOT crazy. Sometimes when there isn't a clear answer it is really because either one is a-ok. Not detrimental. Cameron will do well! Cole did well! And you did too! Smart genes run in the family. With that said, I completely agree with you. I'd at least attempt to get into the STEM program and home school is a GREAT plan B. home school is always available if the STEM program doesn't live up to your expectations, but you won't know if you don't try.

NOT CRAZY! You're a great mama!!

MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS HENDERSON FAMILY!!