Monday, January 9, 2012

Goals for the year

Here's my list of goals for 2012: (in no particular order)

Make a 72-Hour kit for each member of our family:
I've always had a good intentions. I have no excuses. I have been told that I need to do this so I am going to assemble 72-hour kits for the four of us. I've started my list and have started collecting the items I need. I plan to have them completed by the 1st of April.

Make a 72-hour car kit
Again, no excuses! With Cole driving so much we need one now. I have gathered most of what I need and I will get it put into the car this weekend. Once Cole's company car arrives I will make a second for that car. Those of you in AK, how do you store your drinking water in the car during the winter? I assume you don't because I will freeze?

Compile a 3-6 month supply of food storage
When we left Oregon, we left our food storage. I had a pretty nice supply built up. I remember the first time I talked to Cole's grandmother after arriving her in AK...she said "how that Mormon Mommy doing with out her food storage". I was petrified! We've had to use our food storage before. When Cole lost his job a couple years ago our food storage fed us! Seriously. Because we live in a smaller apartment now and I can't store outside like I could in Oregon, My hope is to store a 3-6 month supply. 

Organize our household information into a binder instead of piles
Ugh! I have piles and piles of household papers...from birth certificates to bills. Yes, they are place out of the way but if something is needed I am the only one that can find it. I would like for Cole to be able to gather his own documents when headed to the DMV, or to be able to find the last power bill with out having to go through 3 different stacks of paper. I know that it's my fault for not being more organized so I am taking it into my own hands. I am going to take all of our important documents and household information and place it into a binder. I will then take what is left over and file it in an accordion file. Hopefully this will help cut back on some of the clutter while allowing for things to be found quickly.

Cook meals from scratch 
This last year I started trying to be better about this. I grew up with a working mom. She would through dinner together as fast as she could and most of the time it ended up being something along the lines of rice-a-roni and seasoned chicken breast. Don't get me wrong I love rice-a-roni but as a mom having to worry about her weight as well as feeding my children something nutritious I would prefer to make brown rice. So this is already in the works. I also plan to use a meal plan! I hate meal plans but since having implemented one a couple months ago I have found that I really do save money and that it is easier to cook/bake from scratch when you know what you need ahead of time.

Travel
Nothing big here! We would like to take a couple of small trips this summer to explore our "backyard"! We have talked about taking an over night trip to Denali National Park. We'd also like to head on over to Valdez. We will make a trip or two to Homer and we'd like to make it up to Fairbanks!

Exercise/Run
Yes, the ultimate goal would be to lose some weight. I hope that by excercising regularly whether it's by running, video, or machine that I would lose some weight. Regularly is the key word here!

Family Home Evening/Scripture study/prayer!
I would like to implement Family Home Evening into our weekly plan. Our family scripture study fell to the wayside when the boys and I went to Oregon, so i plan to start that again too! I would just like to be better about these things in general!

There you have it. These are the main things I hope to accomplish this year. Every so often I will give you an update, especially if I'm working on a project!


No comments: