Sunday, December 14, 2008

Loving and Caring for Each Other

I read an amazing talk last Sunday by Richard N. Williams. He spoke at the 2006 BYU Womens Conference. Loving and Caring for Each Other brought much needed insight to me about my marriage. One thing Cole mentions on a semi-regular basis is that I get angry too quickly. This is something that I recognize as a problem and am more than willing to change it, but how?

This talk helped me to understand not only why I should abolish the anger but how to abolish the anger.

My favorite quote from this talk was originally said by President Hinckley:

"Selfishness is a destructive, gnawing, corrosive element in the lives of most of us. It lies at the root of much of the tension between parents and children.

"I am satisfied that a happy marriage is not so much a matter of romance as it is an anxious concern for the comfort and well-being of one’s companion. Selfishness so often is the basis of money problems. . . . Selfishness is at the root of adultery, the breaking of solemn and sacred covenants. . . . Selfishness is the antithesis of love."

I have this tendency to become very selfish when my needs aren't met. The most recent occurrence of my selfish behavior happened one Sunday morning as I was showering before waking Cameron up for church. Cole was having a very hard time and had been the whole weekend. I remember thinking why me? He hasn't helped me with such and such and he didn't do this or he did that. It was that same that the high council speaker spoke on such matters. He reminded me that I should let it go, it doesn't matter what he did or didn't do, if I hold that grudge I am worse than he is for not taking out the trash or for sleeping most of the day.

I am so thankful for personal revelation, I am thankful for those that prayerfully study and prepare talks so that we can learn and better ourselves. I am thankful for such a wonderful husband, even more thankful for the trials we endure together.

No comments: