Friday, December 19, 2008

Our Mental Illness

Here is some information pertaining to the disorders Cole suffers from:

Bipolar disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Seasonal affective disorder

Cole's bipolar is bipolar 1. With bipolar 1 you cycle more frequently going from very depressed to mania in a matter of minutes several times a year rather than a few times a year with bipolar 2. Adding in the seasonal affective disorder makes matters worse by inducing more depression. the obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD just make the bipolar harder to treat causing increased anxiety and unrealistic doubts and fears.

We are blessed to have found a great psychiatrist. Although finding a treatment has been hard and trying on us all she has been patient with both Cole and I and for that I am thankful. The disorders Cole has are chronic and we will constantly be monitoring his medication and once the right fit is found he will feel better, although he will probably switch medications every couple of years as new medicine is developed and new treatment found.

Please don't think that this is a cry for sympathy, I know that most of you don't know Cole well enough to have known what I have been talking around for the last couple of months. Is it hard to see my husband hurt and sad, yes! Is it trying, yes! Do I want to give up, sometimes! BUT, I knew of Cole's disorders when I married him and I still married him. I have never once regretted that decision. What we have gone through has made me who I am and I know that we will both continue to grow through these trials. Each new medication is a trial; each new episode is a trial. I am more than ever thankful for my wonderful family, both my side and Cole's,for the listening ears they provide for each of us. I am also grateful for my Father in Heaven who also listens, who know what we are going through and who provides comfort and relief when it's needed.

1 comment:

SevenVillageIdiarts said...

Wow, I had no idea you two were going through those disorders, I knew you were having some hard times and I have to say, as tough as mental illness is, I am relieved. I thought a miriade of different things that you could be going through and my imagination came up with some things that weren't treatable with medicine and patience/love, so I am relieved. I am in awe with your caring compassion for Cole and I am glad that you found a good doctor that you both like. What a blessing modern medicine is and I hope everything goes more smoothly in 2009! Love you! Oh, and you should come over HERE during the break, Cameron can play with the kids and I can show you Photoshop. . . We'll figure it out (or now that my middle schooler will be home, she can babysit and I can run over there, whatever is better!) S