I love this time of year. The Holidays are near, the days are shorter and the weather has turned. Cole and I were rearranging some furniture the other day and I had to remind him that we would be putting up our Christmas tree in about 25 days....can you believe it?
The gloomy days make wonderful "reading days". As I've said before I love to curl up on the couch or my bed and read a good book during the afternoon while Cameron and Grandma nap. I always have the urge to bake on gloomy days, I think this is because I had a babysitter when I was younger who would bake chocolate chip cookies on rainy days...somehow they go hand in hand for me.
Another thing I love about this time of year....I get to look forward to decorating for Christmas. I love the smells and colors associated with the Christmas Holiday. My very favorite decoration, my Nativity, helps to keep us centered and ground during the rush of Christmas. I most excited about setting this up and being able to look at it every time I walk past. I searched and searched last year for a nice nativity and the only one I was able to find that I liked was at Costco for a lot more than I was willing to spend. I came home telling Grandma all about it, but continued to search through the catalogs for one less expensive. Grandma surprised me a few weeks later when she had my Aunt go out and purchase the one at Costco for me. I don't think she will ever know how much that gift means to me. Not only will it remind me of her when she passes but it reminds me of the true meaning of Christmas.
I am excited about the time we spend with our families. I love gathering around the big table at my Aunts for Christmas dinner, and around Cole's moms table for Thanksgiving. I love that both of our families recognize the importance of families.
One of my favorite memories from childhood is gathering in the kitchen with my mom, my sisters, my aunt and her daughters. We would bake dozens of cookies and treats all day long. I believe this is also something that made a big impression on my sisters and cousins, we continued the tradition last year without our moms but with Cameron. I'm excited to keep this tradition alive.
So here's to traditions, family and most importantly the true meaning of the Holidays we are about to celebrate.
1 comment:
Amen to the holidays! I love it all!
Post a Comment